Taking on the task of grooming your own dog can be slightly stressful, and time-consuming. Especially if you are not equipped with the proper tools to get the job done.
In this post we are going to help make the process a little less daunting, by showing you what we believe are the best dog clippers for grooming that are on the market today!
We have done thorough research and tested a few brands, to bring to you our top 5 picks, what we love about ’em, and even what we don’t love about em’, so that you can make an informed decision, and pick the pair that will work best for your needs!
Benefits of grooming your dog yourself.
While the benefits to getting your dog groomed by a professional are a bit obvious, there are still benefits to grooming your pup by yourself as well.
FIRST – You will save a lot of MONEY! In a world where everything seems to have a high cost, it sure doesn’t hurt to save yourself a decent chunk of cash every month or two by taking on the grooming yourself
SECOND – It is often less stressful for your pet. Going to a groomer, and being left there for several hours with a stranger, can really put a toll on your dog’s stress levels. Some dogs don’t seem to mind it at all, and act as if they are enjoying their little spa day, but other dogs are pretty positive that they will be murdered if you dare leave them there! A dog that gets highly stressed when visiting a groomer, may do much better getting groomed by his human, and in the comfort of his own home instead.
THIRD – Bonding time. – Doing the job yourself is a good opportunity to spend time with, and bond with your dog. Give him extra love, encouragement, and puppy snacks so he can relax and enjoy the treatment! This is also a good time to look over your canine friend for any abnormalities on his/her body. Any lumps, discolorations, or anything that looks concerning should be checked out by your veterinarian.
If these three things sound good for you and your pet, then by ALL means, read on and find out our top 5 clipper picks, so you can get started with your at-home grooming sessions!
OUR TOP PICKS
(Our all around FAV)
We decided to talk about our top pick first, because it’s just SO good.
Man, Oh, Man… There are so many things we love about these clippers. Our favorite part is probably just the simple fact that these clippers are cordless. Which, believe me… it is SO much easier to work with cordless clippers.. Like a million times easier. This set holds a charge for up to 90 minutes and runs at full speed until the battery is entirely depleted. If the battery does happen to run out before you are done, no worries!! It can also be used while it is plugged in as well. The size of this clipper is amazing, and super easy to handle. It is not very bulky, and has a removable finger grip to reduce the risk of dropping and damaging the clippers.
Another great feature that this set has is the built in 5-in-1 blade technology, allowing you to easily adjust the blade to sizes #9, #10, #15, #30, and #40. This is an incredibly useful and convenient feature that should not be overlooked!
The blade cuts extremely well, and is packed with power, moving at a whopping 5,500 strokes per minute.
Ready for a few more pros?
These clippers also are very quiet and do not get hot, which is important! Many dogs are frightened by noisy clippers, so the quieter the better, and obviously a hot blade can burn your dog, and needs special clipper coolant to keep them cool. (which is messy and annoying to apply, in my opinion.)
Is there anything we DON’T love about these clippers!? Ha! Hardly!
BUT we did find a little something…
– Because of the smaller size of these clippers, they are not ideal for shaving down a larger dog. They work better for small to medium-sized dogs. So that is really only a con if you’re looking to give your Great Pyrenees a summer shave down! (if this is you, read on for a better option!)
– The price point on this bad boy, is also slightly high… but let’s be honest… with clippers, you really get what you pay for!
- Professional Lithium Ion Cord/Cordless Clipper.
- ‘5 in 1’ Pro Blade Set
- 6 Attachment Guide Combs: #1 -1/8″, #2 -1/4”, #3 -1/3”, #4 -1/2”, #6 -3/4”, #8 -1”
- Charge Stand and Charger.
- Soft Storage Case.
- Cleaning Brush, Blade Oil & Instruction Book.
- One Year Warranty
Equipped with a 14-inch heavy-duty cord, and break resistant housing, these clippers are sure to impress with their durability, and ease of use! They stay fairly cool, run quiet, and they are perfect for all different breeds, and coat types. You are not limited by the size of your dog with this set in the slightest! It powers through the thickest fur, yet gently glides through fine hair as well.
This machine can run on two different speeds, which can really help give full control while working around difficult areas such as the face or joints. The blade also detaches for quick and easy changing or cleaning.
Five fun colors are available to choose from if you decide to go with these clippers for your furry friend!
There isn’t much that we don’t love about these clippers either, but the few things are as follows:
– They are not cordless. Corded clippers are a bit more difficult to maneuver than cordless, but really, it’s not that bad, and you get used to it quickly!
– They can get hot after long periods of being run (purchase extra blades or a cooling spray just in case)
– They are a little on the heavy side
- Andis UltraEdge AGC Super 2-Speed Clipper
- UltraEdge size 10 clipper blade
(BEST BANG for your BUCK)
Our third choice is our “Best Bang for your Buck” pick.
These clippers are quite affordable for how well they perform! They are great for all size dogs, and work well with heavy-duty grooming and precision grooming.
Two speeds are also available with this set, and they pack a powerful punch moving at 2,100 strokes per minute on low and 2,700 strokes per minute on high.
Built to last with unbreakable and chew proof housing, chances are that these clippers will last you for many years to come!
OK, so remember how we talked about getting what you pay for? Well these clippers are a little more affordable and because of that, we have a few more cons.
– These clippers can get very hot. If you decide to go with these clippers for budget purposes, I don’t blame you, I own them myself and I am very pleased with them. HOWEVER, you will NEED a cooling spray, and/or extra blades to replace the hot blade with a few times while you are grooming your dog. These do get HOT.
– They are a little noisier than the other options. They’re not crazy loud or anything, but I definitely wouldn’t call them quiet either. My pup was a little freaked out by the noise the first time or two that I used these, but she quickly got used to it.
– They are also a bit heavy, but definitely durable!
– They are not cordless. (Again, not a huge deal really… Cordless is just super convenient.)
- Oster Professional Turbo A5 Heavy Duty Clippers
- Detachable Size 10 CryogenX blade
Here we have another cordless machine, which ya’ll know by now that I love because…
The Bousnic Dog Clipper set is not only super affordable, but has very good customer feedback! They are quite powerful for the price, although not as powerful as the more expensive models we’ve talked about so far. However, they can get the job done. This is a set that I would recommend if you are literally just looking to shave down your dog and not get into anything too fancy with the cut.
The battery life on this unit is long, and the size is very easy to work with, especially in delicate areas like around the ears and feet.
– Not as powerful as a more professional grade clipper.
– Some customers complained of the blade clogging up with hair often
– The kit comes with scissors as well and users have mentioned them being quite dull.
- Bousnic Dog Clippers
- 4 attachment combs with different lengths
- Oil bottle and cleaning brush
- USB cable for charging
- Stainless steel scissors and comb
- Lifetime Warranty!
So this one is very similar to the last one we talked about. It is another budget friendly option that we really like. It runs very quiet so it is an excellent choice for a nervous/anxious dog. The clippers are lightweight and cordless which makes for easy navigation even around the sensitive areas.
They hold a charge well, and can still be used while they’re plugged in. The blade is not as strong or as sharp as the professional grade clippers, so do not expect a perfect professional looking cut, but for the price it is not bad if you’re looking to just quickly de-hair your dog! HA!
– Like we mentioned above, the blade is not as strong or as sharp as a higher quality clipper
– A few users were upset that the clippers didn’t last very long and seemed to not work as well after several uses.
because of that…
– Durability is questionable at best.
- PetTech Clippers
- Scissors and thinning shears
- Oil and brush
- 4 attachment combs with different lengths
- Nail file
So there ya’ have it!
We hope this list can help you pick a great set of clippers to use on your pup! It really can be a great bonding experience and money saver too!! Remember that you do get what you pay for when it comes to dog clippers, and you will save money too by not paying for a groomer.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. My Yorkie, Willow, and I love to help out our fellow dog lovers!
– Save this information for later, and help us spread the word by pinning this post to Pinterest!
Hover over or tap the photo to see the Pin it option.